More recent history coming soon
As one of the oldest Groups in the country, our history dates back to 1910, just three years after Baden Powell founded the Scout Movement.
We initially meet in the old parish church buildings (where Iceland now sits), Queen Victoria School, and the historic windmill on Vale Street, Ruiton, Gornal. George Cox MBE led a team to find and build our own HQ. After decades of searching and numerous site possibilities, our current location was secured. Fortunately, former 1st Sedgley Scout Frank Turner rejoined our ranks. As a building construction lecturer at Wolverhampton Technical College, he was declared our architect. George and Frank led a team that hand built our current hall from 1974 to 1977. Three additional extensions were built in the following decades, and a fourth is currently being planned. Within one of those extensions is Turner’s Cabin, a log cabin that honours his astounding commitment to the youth of Sedgley.
George Cox continued leading the group as a leader, member of the executive committee, and honorary member until his passing. He was in effect the father of the present-day 1st Sedgley Scout Group, a caring and inspirational Scout. A commemorate folly stands in the corner of our property, overlooking the hall and our members much like we believe he is now.
George Cox published a book that documents in detail our history.